How I Cured My Infertility Naturally

How-I-Cured-My-Infertility-Naturally-HomemakerChic.comMany of you know about my struggle with infertility. After inexplicably losing 5 babies (including twin girls), and undergoing months of testing, the doctors were able to find no medical reason for why this was happening. The only answer I got was that it might be some sort of autoimmune issue, but no tests gave any answer as to what kind. We finally gave up on trying to have a baby for awhile and dove head first into the adoption process. We believe that God has called us to do this at some point in our lives. But God had another plan…

Still puzzled by why this was happening to me, I began researching recurrent pregnancy loss (RPL). I knew I didn’t want to be pregnant while we were focusing on adoption, but I wanted to be healthy and whole, so I started looking into natural ways to improve my situation. Among other things, I found that BPA was linked to RPL. So I began taking steps to eradicate this harmful chemical from my life. But I wanted more.

Enter providence. Through a series of divine interactions, I ended up working with a Christian naturopath named Cheryl who gave me the ALCAT test. ALCAT is a food sensitivity test that measures inflammatory reactions in your blood when it is exposed to various foods and chemicals. It turned out that I was intolerant to several foods that I had no idea about (lobster, avocado, basil, broccoli, white potato, button mushroom, and splenda aka sucralose.) Cheryl taught me that health begins in our guts. I learned that all the antibiotics I had taken several years ago when I had chronic tonsillitis, and the birth control pills I had taken for years, had likely torn up the lining of my stomach. I learned that consuming harmful chemicals can make it more difficult for your body to absorb necessary nutrients (and more importantly for my babies to get the nutrients THEY needed!). I learned that eating the wrong foods can cause inflammation in MANY places in the body, possibly including my reproductive organs. I learned that food is medicine, and that by eating wholesome healthful foods I could begin to heal my body from the inside out.

In addition to removing my food intolerances and BPA, I also began living the Real Food lifestyle. I cut out processed foods, and anything with ingredients that I couldn’t pronounce. I began taking probiotics to help fortify my gut, super vitamins to amplify my immune system, and drinking raspberry leaf tea daily to tone my uterus. I began eating whole, organic, and locally farmed foods. I limited the amount of meat I was eating to once a week, and exchanged hormone laced, GMO corn-fed beef for organic grass fed beef. I cut out coffee. I began exercising. And I began drinking a LOT of water. 75 ounces a day! I’m not saying it was easy to change all of this. In fact, one time I was at the supermarket almost in tears because I felt like everything I was used to buying was off limits. I texted Cheryl saying, “Grocery shopping is too hard, I think I’ll just buy wine and go home.” She laughed hysterically and then gently encouraged me to press on. It was very difficult at first, but I was committed to doing this right.

And after just 6 weeks of this new lifestyle I found myself pregnant…. again.

18-weeks-pregnant-homemakerchic.com

As the weeks passed I could tell this pregnancy was different. For one thing, I experienced zero spotting. Every single other pregnancy started out with spotting. Secondly, I had morning sickness which I had never had before. After I passed the 10 week mark (the farthest any of my babies had ever survived) I began to seriously wonder if this was actually going to be the one. Week by week this baby has carried on. We’ve gotten to see our sweet little monkey on an ultrasound, actually looking like a baby! This is a completely new experience for us since normally we get terrible news when we have ultrasounds. Systematically during this pregnancy I have eliminated one unnatural thing after another. GMO foods, chewing gum, listerine, face wash, moisturizers, deodorant, and the list goes on. I’ve replaced MANY things with coconut oil. More on that later. I’m still taking vitamins, probiotics and drinking the raspberry leaf tea daily.

So now, at 18 weeks pregnant, I am finally believing that God is giving us this baby… this boy. My son. baby-boy-16-weeks-ultrasound-homemakerchic.com

There’s one other aspect to this process that I want to share with you. In addition to getting my body on track, God began to put my soul on track. He taught me that He is good if He gives me a child, and He is good if I lose 20 more pregnancies. This was a fact that was very hard for me to understand in the midst of my losses. I wondered many times why a good God would let this happen to me over and over again. He taught me that these children were all His before they were mine, and that He was just as brokenhearted over my suffering as I was. I realized that in all of my suffering I forgot the fact that my 5 little sweeties never had to experience loss, suffering, heartache, or rejection. They had the amazing privilege of going straight to Heaven! He is holding them in His hands. Hands that are infinitely more perfect than mine. How could I ever be sad about that? I learned that while God had not yet answered my prayers to heal my body, He kept His promise in the bible that He would heal my broken heart (He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds. Psalm 147:3).

Losing-a-pregnancyAnd finally God asked me the question that I had been so afraid to answer for so many years… “Do you trust Me?” I thought I had trusted Him, but the truth was, I never had. I finally surrendered my fertility and my life to the God of the universe, knowing and believing that He knows my desires, and wouldn’t place this deep urge to be a mother inside me and never fulfill it. When we stepped forward to adopt, I was certain that this was how God was going to fulfill that desire in me (and we still hope to continue with that in the near future) but I can now see how He was molding me and shaping me to become a whole person, inside and out, so that I could become the best mother possible for my children.

If you’ve been through loss, I sincerely encourage you to consider crying out to God and ask him to make you whole. He loves you, and He knows your hurts more than anyone else. Trusting Him has been a journey, but my life has never been so peaceful or fruitful.

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “How I Cured My Infertility Naturally

1. Lois

First of all, I am so very sorry for all of your losses. I also lost twins, and then went on to have two beautiful, healthy girls who are now 11 and 13. We also were in the process of adopting when we found out about our pregnancy. I was so moved to be reminded that God holds and loves those children that we never saw or held. Almost 14 years later I’m still moved to tears when I think about God knowing those babies and forming them in my womb.

I find your healthy eating so refreshing to read about. In the past months I’ve tried to cut out processed foods almost entirely. I have a friend who “preaches” to me about a healthy gut, and since making some pretty significant changes, my husband and I have lost weight and feel wonderful. Good for you for persevering even when it was difficult!

May God richly bless you and your husband and your growing and strong baby.

2. onmywaytohealth

So sorry for your losses, but SO happy for your little baby boy that is with you! This post really spoke to me and means a lot to me! I have suffered from infertility for almost 2 years (with one miscarriage). It’s been a difficult journey but I do NOT want to take medicines or anything like that to get things back on track. I want to do things naturally, so I have been changing my diet (much like the same way you have) and I have seen some differences. The biggest challenge for me is not to get stressed out about it or to feel too much disappointment when my period shows up.

I too, have struggled to trust in God. I constantly have to remind myself that He is good and He wants nothing but good things for His children. His timing and His plan are more perfect than mine could ever be. And I have started feeling peace about whatever He wants for me, whether it’s to be a mother or not.

Thank you so much for writing this! It was such an encouragement and a blessing to me!

-Amanda

3. Lara Champ Mays

what a beautiful story! I’ve already shared with two friends in similar situations. I can not wait to meet him! XO

4. Cl_Elli

Our family will be keeping you in our prayers. We have been several losses ourselves and I completely understand every word you wrote. It brought back so many memories good and bad but in the end…I have 3 beautiful children. The last one a complete surprise and gift from God! You’re already and amazing mom. God Bless you and your growing family!

5. Gaylen

What a phenomenal sharing. Thank you! I am so happy for you and your new addition. I followed the same diet, and through that beat cancer which had reoccured 4 years in a row.

6. Addiana

I share your sorrows for we have also experienced loss. One at 10 weeks and another at about 18 weeks… This has been almost 5 years ago and we are still prayin for our miracle. But I can also say that throughout this journey God has healed me and given me my purpose in life and had I not gone through what I had with my babies and everything else in life I wouldn’t have understood my calling… God has called me to sing and speak of His goodness about healing. Healing is the beginning to understanding and getting all that He has in store for us. I appreciate your speaking out and sharing your struggles and solutions…. I myself have had two weight loss surgeries so that I can be healthier to have a baby and I’m finally on the right track and I believe I was meant to see this so that I can physically heal from the inside… I’m so grateful my sister came across your story because I do want to try what you have done. Unfortunialy my husband is deploying in Aug. and we won’t be able to try again until next year, but this means I have a lot of time to dedicate to my body and health. Thank you again for sharing and may God bless you with more than your heart desires!

7. Pingback: A Holistic Pregnancy Nutrition Plan | Homemaker Chic

8. maria

Sorry for you losses but I agree they are in heaven now! I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago it was our first baby we been married for 2 years. Lossing a baby is hardest thing woman can go through. But husband tells me same thing that our angel baby had privileged to go straight to heaven! Thank hou so much for sharing your story and congrats on your baby here on earth! I trust in god that one day I have tthat blessing of being a mother on earth as well

9. Cynthia T.

Thank you for sharing this! I needed to read this today! Four years ago I should have delivered a baby into this world! But, God took it. It was an ectopic pregnancy. I’ve had a hard time every year since around my due date, January 17th. I have been trying to have babies for over 23 years. We adopted our son at birth, eight years ago. And when he was 13 months old, I found out that I was FINALLY pregnant for the first time! Our daughter was born in September of 2007. We got pregnant again in April of 2009. But lost it due to the ectopic pregnancy. We weren’t trying both pregnancies. In June I will be 42 years old. I now only have one tube. I have been diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserves due to all of the fertility treatments. And I have low progesterone! I am going to try one last ditched effort to have a baby before it’s too late! For the last three months, I have been doing acupuncture in addition to Chinese Herbal tea (and several herbs that I got from the health food store.) I am going to do one last cycle of acupuncture and then move on. The last thing that I can do is totally change our diets and the chemicals around us! Thank you for a place top start!

10. Amber

Thank you so much for putting this out there. I found your blog via pinterest and had no idea what I was getting myself into when I clicked on that link. I’m now sitting here in a puddle of my own tears with tissues around me, lol. My husband and I have been married for 10 years this June and have been ttc for 7 of those years. We have suffered 2 losses- one at 7 weeks and another at 11 weeks. With the first one (in 2010) I completely lost my faith (I am a Christian and was raised in the faith- a worship leader, and was a Christian school educator) and it took me years to crawl back. When we received the confirmation of our 2nd pregnancy (last year), we were told in the same breath that I was in a VERY strange/abnormal situation- I don’t even remember the term for what happened to me…my brain was on overload. The dr. explained to me that sometimes (VERY rarely) if your body is “predisposed” to a disease (in your genes) and you become pregnant, sometimes your body kicks that latent disease into overdrive. This happened to me. I was told that I had type 2 diabetes as a result of getting pregnant. The dr. actually looked me in the face and told me that “if you hadn’t gotten pregnant this probably wouldn’t have happened to you for years and years.” Great bedside manner, huh? I decided that it was ok. It would be worth it to finally meet our child. When we lost that baby, I felt like it was all for nothing. My baby was gone and my disease stuck around.

It has been a year (this week) since we lost our 2nd baby and it is still just as hard today. We have completely changed the way we eat due to my disease and I am on insulin rather than pills to hopefully make it easier to become pg again. I am really interested in finding out more details about the changes you made to become pregnant successfully. (Many of them I probably cannot do due to being on a low-carb diet) But I am definitely interested in doing what I CAN do to help aid in my fertility.

Sorry for the super long comment! LOL

Thank you again for sharing your story- Here is a little bit about mine 🙂 http://www.manysparrowsboutique.blogspot.com/p/about-memy-story.html

11. Jo

Your blog made me cry. What a beautiful way in seeing God’s plan in your life. I am struggling to have children, I am often asked if I trust God (by God and myself). I want to trust, this was a beautiful blog. Thank you for sharing. I know what I need to do, I just need to do it. ❤

Within reason. He did not do the testing so we don’t know his tolerances, but in the home I began to cook more healthy foods, and only purchased unprocessed snacks. I can’t help how he eats outside of the home (ahem Wendys ahem!) but I try to help him make better choices at home. 🙂

12. Pingback: Is IVF The Only Option For Blocked Fallopian Tubes?

13. Debbie

Wow, praise God!! Thank you so much for sharing. When I saw the picture of you with your baby bump, I cried tears of joy for you! 🙂
    My husband and I have been trying for 3 years now with no explanation of why it hasn’t happened yet. We will not lose hope. We have thought about adoption too but I don’t know yet…
    God bless you and yours.