broken makeup homemakerchic.com

How to fix broken makeup – Pinterest WIN!

Another Pinterest Win! I saw this one a long time ago and tucked it away in my little pin bank for the right time. I finally had the opportunity to test it out when I unfortunately dropped my Mac Powder Compact. Gah! Do you know how many times I’ve broken a compact or eye shadow and just had to throw it away because I had no idea that it could be fixed? In comes Pinterest to save the day! This is a real win, and will definitely save me tons of money! No more replacing perfectly good make-up that’s all cracked up.

All you do is pour a few teaspoons of plain ol’ rubbing alcohol over the cracked make-up. (Isopropyl Alcohol can be found at at your local Pharmacist or Chemist. It might go by a different name if you’re not in America. Or you can just buy it here.) Stir and break up the chunks until all the makeup is dissolved. Set out on a flat surface overnight. The alcohol dries up and you’re left with perfect and fresh makeup! Oh Pinterest, where were you with this little gem 15 years ago?!

howtofixcrackedmakeup homemakerchic.com

About these ads

110 thoughts on “How to fix broken makeup – Pinterest WIN!

1. Cookie Dough Katzen

Ah that is brilliant! I seriously don’t know how I lived without Pinterest. There are so many great tips. I actually switched over to lose powder makeup a while ago because I kept dropping mine! :)

2. thebeadden

I never thought I would join Pinterest. Now I’m hooked! Such great ideas. Thanks for sharing this one with us.

1. Holly

Saline solution is a good option for some things (I use it in my drying-out mascara) because it’s sterile, but it has salt in it, so if it dries out (like for the compact) it might make a haze or “crust”. I wouldn’t recommend it…but who knows!

3. Nicole

It works well with less alcohol also. If broken in bigger peices you don’t need much just a few drops and press powder with clean finger or tissue. That way you can still use right away.

1. bunny

At a pharmacist/chemist or WalMart type store. You can get rubbing alcohol just about anywhere in America. It is a very common first-aid products. Used to clean shot/injection site by medical personal etc.

1. Callie

Isopropyl Alochol is the more “technical” name for it- some places may not label it as rubbing alcohol…that might make it easier for some of you to find it. You can find it in almost any store (in the US anyway) in the Health and Beauty or First Aid sections :D Such a great idea- I will definitely be using this from now on!!

1. rootbeeriiz

Walmart sells it in their first aid section. Target and most any grocery store sells it also. And it’s VERY inexpensive :)

4. shaelamariahdaiella

Would the alcohol make the product drying to the face, or cause breakouts at all? I have sensitive skin and have heard about this “remedy” for broken makeup.. But I have been hesitant to try it! If anyone knows, fill a girl in ;)

1. Callie

It should evaporate completely so I don’t think it will cause breakouts. Rubbing alcohol can cause dryness (I have heard of people using it to dry up acne- which I don’t recommend because it will dry the skin out too much) Anyway, you shouldn’t notice any issue from it…if anything, you may need a smidge more moisturizer in your daily routine, but I doubt it.

5. Melanie

Wow! What a great tip!! Can’t wait to repair my broken powder, I´ll let you know the results.
    Thank you so much for sharing!!
    Love from Venezuela.

6. thechichicho

This is great! I have seen this before but I have always thought that the powder needed to be pressed down to firm it up, but you have showed me that that isn’t needed!!!! this changes everything

7. deedee

Hi I was just wondering if there was something else we could mix it with besides rubbing alcohol? My sister just recently broke hers and didn’t want to buy a new one but shes allergic to rubbing alcohol. Was there something else we could possibly use?

1. Mia

It does not completely evaporate out. Some alcohol molecules remain trapped in the makeup. It’s not bad as long as you moisturize and thoroughly wash your face.

1. Gemma

Vodka works just as well, I dropped my prof eye shadow palette, and flavoured vodka was all I had, use the exact same procedure as above, it hasn’t changed the colours at all, it has no smell at all.

8. Kaitlin

This didn’t work at all for me :( I don’t know what I did wrong. I tried it with a broken pressed powder (it was almost brand new) and now it’s like cement. No makeup will come off on a brush or sponge. Oh well.

I’ve had cheaper makeup do that on their own without using this method to fix it. That’s why I asked. I didn’t have any issues fixing my MAC compact and it was probably a year or two old.

1. Laraina parker

Alcohol comes in percentages 70% to 91% I wonder if the watered down stuff could cause a problem

1. Steph

I have used this method and also had my make up turn to cement. It worked wonders with my mac blush and powder, but my sephora brand didn’t work :/

9. Kristina

As far as skin problems, this would probably be beneficial more so than harmful. The alcohol would also kill bacteria in the makeup. Make up artists spray makeup with rubbing alcohol to disinfect them between clients. So its sort of a win win :)Anyone with dry or oily skin issues should look into jojoba oil :) It’s an awesome skin moisturizer, that I use, that is good on all skin types. I’m sure it doesn’t work for everyone, because we all react differently to things, but it’s worth a try :)

1. Sonya

I do not believe rubbing alcohol kills bacteria but it does prevent it from being able to spread it destroys the membrane of the cell wall which is used for repopulation and reduces the size of the bacteria but it does not kill it. I’m just saying :)

10. sbahamon11@gmail.com

This is probably a weird question but cuz i saw in your picture that you barely had much powder left it really just helped to basically remake a new one?

11. Kitty Walker

This is a great tip, but why would people throw out their broken make up? I still used my broken make up as I was told never to waste.

12. France

I’m so sad to say that I’ve tried this and it completely failed, at first use my compact crumbled again… maybe I had too much left, more than you did. Any tips?

Maybe try pressing the powder with your finger to sort of compress it again. And use a bit less alcohol. It won’t be 100% like it was from the store but it should be a vast improvement.

1. France

I’ll try it again (nothing to lose now)… it was a MAC makeup and Isopropyl Alcohol I used … I’ll make sure it’s totally completely dissolved this time…. I have absolutely nothing to lose now! Yours looks so good!!! Thanks for the reply. I’ll try to give it a go this weekend and report back. Otherwise it’s back to the MAC counter!!! Which is never a bad thing, except for the wallet!! =)

1. France

I had let it set overnight. I think the problem is that I had too much powder, and when it dried, it cracked. I tried a 2nd time and it was very well blended and totally cracked overnight. So I did a bit of research and on youtube I found a few videos that show how to press the powder/alcohol mix in the compact. I had to do that a few times during the drying process, but voilà! I now have a new compact! I had to press the powder, to soak up some of the alcohol about 4 or 5 times, each time I saw a little crack happen I’d press again. It worked! I watched a few videos and went from there. I think your technique works well if only a bit of stuff is left (like your picture) as that way the alcohol dries quickly and doesn’t leave time for the powder to crack! This said, if I hadn’t found your post I probably would have ended up throwing out my compact! Now I can save all the broken ones :D Thanks!!

13. Pernilla

When I fixed an eyeshadow with this method, I used a coin wrapped in a paper towel to compress the pigments and soak up some of the alcohol, worked like a charm!

14. Pingback: How to fix Broken Make-up « Live More Daily | Live More Daily

15. Beth C.

Tried the witch hazel. Not sure if it works yet, but it was hard to mix. Makes a pretty decent concealer when it’s wet though!

16. Beth C.

Well, I wasn’t expecting fast results, but so far it just has the texture of gritty mud, almost clay-like. Hopefully, it sets, otherwise I’m going to have to purchase a new bronzer. Lol

17. Laurie

2 of my MAC containers broke in my makeup bag while flying somewhere. The clear part just broke loose. Has anyone had that problem with MAC before?

18. Kylie Jefferson

I tried this with my N.Y.C bronzer that had been crumbled for a year now. When I poured some of the rubbing alcohol in it the alcohol did not mix and just kind of rolled around the powder. I tried the coin in a tissue to pack it and I tried using a little spreader knife also. But over all it didn’t work for me :( is there something that I am doing wrong? Please help me! D:

19. Kristin Johnston

I tried this and it worked great. I had a almost new bronzer that broke. I have hung on to it for a few months as a back up. I read this two days ago tried it and it worked. Soooooo happy. Thanks for the tip

20. Taylor

Hi! I have some cover up that broke it has alot left its just so broke it would be hard to use. Does it work with alot left?
    Thank you! :)

1. Taylor

Its basicly just broken on the side, its not to bad. Sorry! I thought it was really bad but i havent used it in awhile. Should i just keep using it and if it breaks even more, then try this?

If you read through the comments I think some people have found that it works better when there’s less left. When there is more you really want to compress the powder and don’t use too much alcohol.

21. Michelle

I have very dry skin and didn’t want to try it with the rubbing alcohol so I used contact solution and it worked amazingly! I think anything would work as long as it will evaporate properly.

22. mint cosmetics

Greetings! Quick question that’s entirely off topic.

Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My site looks weird when viewing from my apple
    iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to
    fix this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share.
    Many thanks!

23. Natalie

I put Hydrogen Peroxide in my eye-shadow, thinking it would help fix it… could i just put alcohol over the top, or did i completely ruin it…