Baked Sharpie Mug – Pinterest FAIL!

You’ve seen it all over pinterest. The amazing claim that you can draw on a dollar store mug with a sharpie and bake it for 30 minutes on 350 then VOILA! You magically have this awesomely custom mug. Well pinterest I’m onto you and you’re little crafty lies. This one is not true. I’ve tried it three different times and sorry folks it DOES NOT WORK. (Here’s how to actually make it work.)

I was so excited to try this because I have a large collection of multi colored sharpies. So I made these two adorable mugs, and I was so pleased with how they turned out!

The design on the left is what happened after a light washing. It even rubbed off without soap and water, just rubbing my finger over the design smudged it.

A good solid scrubbing took the image off completely. Survey says: This one’s a doozie.

About these ads

44 thoughts on “Baked Sharpie Mug – Pinterest FAIL!

1. Cassie Kubler

So now this just means you need to figure out HOW to make it work!! You are very crafty and I really wanted this to work :( So help me out :)

I’ve seen those but sharpies are much cheaper, so I was hoping this would be a more affordable option. I will probably use one of those pens in the future. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

1. chaobella

no i don’t! i don’t pre think any of my art. its just the way i work. i look at a piece and i think about what designs i like… i have to be inspired by SOMETHING then my brain just flows for 20-40 minutes. Its hard to explain. Its a lot of fun! try it!

I like going to home sense to look at white plates or plates on sale. i still have about 40 in the basement waiting for me (for my time)

1. chaobella

I wanted to share! i found in the USA at hobby lobby a brand called ‘deco art’ they make pens for porcelain and glass! the ink flow is MUCH better then pebeo! MUCH very smooth less clump

Please check it out! pebeo has been so hyped out since the sharpie mug pin…

Its been a while but this is the last one i posted! I have made more since just haven’t bloged out it! will link it over when i do

xoxo
              Angela Chao

2. danielle

I do many pinterest pins and let people know if they turn out. So far not so many bad. I was going to do this one but you saved me the time thanks:)

I tried that too! Didn’t work for me. Maybe I needed a fresh sharpie? Mine are kinda old. I can’t for the life of me figure it out. I did spray one with acrylic sealant and that actually worked, but unfortunately it made my design smudgy.

3. Megan

I read on another blog about these that you need to use an oil based sharpie, which you can buy at a craft supply store.

1. Candi McCarther

Hi, my family and I tried this the other day. Did you place them in the oven, THEN turn the oven to 350 for 30 minutes and LEAVE the plates/mugs inside until they are completely cool? That is what we did and it worked perfectly! Scrubbed very hard and nothing budged.

1. araceli

i recently tried doing this with regular sharpie and it did not work and i read that it had to be oil based and i went ahead and bought some but i had the same issue when i take them out after letting them cool inside i test it out and it all falls out i think it might be the gloss the plate has.

4. Pingback: THANKSGIVING CRAFT: SHARPIE MUGS « This is my life…

5. Chris

Yup this does NOT work. I also tried the sharpie pen on the mug. I didn’t notice that it wasn’t working for other people until I had already attempted it. Don’t waste your time people, the sharpie does not work!

6. kat

I think the problem is with the mug. Try with an unglazed porcelain mug. I think the glaze is keeping the marker from being absorbed and therefore, getting washed off easily.

7. Pingback: Baked Sharpie Mug – How to make it work « Homemaker Chic

8. Pingback: CraftFail-along! Fail with us this week! | CraftFail

9. Elise

I’ve tried this too. It made me so mad! I was so excited about this craft. But someone else posted that if you use the craft sharpies that are meant for porcelain and glass and repeat the same steps that it’ll work and dishwasher safe.

10. Nina

You have to wash it then wipe it with alcohol first.. Then draw on it with out touching it.. Then bake for 30 mins on 425-450.. When it’s done crack the oven door and leave them In there until it cools.

11. Christine Schutt

I also agree this is a bust of a pin.. Lol.. I made a cup for someone, even tho my inner voice said to use glass paint. But.. I thought its so beautiful on Pinterest. So ignoring the voices in my head ( lol) I went ahead and after the first wash yup you guessed it, I had to do it over again. This time using glass paint. Still on the mug… So don’t waste anymore precious time! Lol.. Use paint!